Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Surrogate Mom

Even before the semester ended, we were already aware of our cat being pregnant. However, I never come to think of it that cats would need a surrogate mom for her babies, since their breed is quite lazy for some things.

So the day came. I was even watching a 3-hour movie before I noticed she was to give birth. It was just right in time, my vacation from school. I got nothing to do. I never saw an actual Queen (pregnant cats) giving birth. So... there, she gave birth. Everyone in the house panicked for quite a while. We even called a vet. But she said, most cats can do it all by themselves, we just have to monitor them but not stress them that much. I really don't know what to do. I kept chasing her and looking after but mom said to leave her alone because she is looking for her nest (a place to settle and there, give birth). So I obeyed. Haha. And suddenly, I did not notice her for some minutes already. I got curious where she may be, so I looked for her. And... I saw her! She was beneath some dirty box at our dirty kitchen, so I tried cleaning it. However, it was a little deep. So I disturbed her, since it was dark inside, I could not see everything that's at the bottom part of it. So I tried patting may hand through the box, by that time, she left already. So I thought, all's clear. Then suddenly, I saw this black furry thing, like a small mouse, moving somewhere in the box. I ran to get a flashlight, and pointed it to the moving thing, and voila! There goes a kitten! A little moving kitten. I shouted and called my mom. My mom said I am stressing the cat and made her leave her nesting place. So we just transferred her in a bigger, cleaner box, but she's alright. So we left her there, with the first kitten. There was a curtain covering the box but it was well ventilated.

At the end of the day, she gave birth to 5 small, black kittens. I was the one who cut their umbilical cords, and helped our Queen in cleaning her kittens. I was the one tasked to check on them on a daily basis. So there, you got it. A Surrogate Mom!  :) The journey of 6 cats and a surrogate mom. :))) Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment